VCE, VCAL ＆ Preparatory Courses
The Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning is a recognised senior secondary certificate of education. The course develops knowledge and employability skills, with a strong emphasis on literacy and numeracy. It also gives students the relevant preparatory skills to develop and extend meaningful pathways for employment and/or further education for young people, aged 15 and above.
Bendigo (BTEC Myers Street Campus); Bendigo (City Campus); Castlemaine Campus; Echuca Campus; Maryborough Campus
This course is delivered over 10 months of study and can be offered over two years in part time mode.
This qualification is nationally recognised.
Part time; Full time
The successful completion of this course provides the confidence and ability to make informed choices about employment through the development of employability and work related skills.
There are no prerequisites for entry into VCAL units, however all prospective students need to demonstrate their capacity to complete the course.
Students will be assessed as to their literacy and numeracy level and classes can be adapted to suit their needs.
Attendance at an information session is highly recommended. Attendance at a pre-selection interview will be required.
Students enrolling must be prepared to:
- undertake work experience and/or placement
- attend excursions and camps
- work in an adult environment.
How to apply
The Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) is a senior secondary certificate of education recognised within the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). At Foundation level, knowledge and employability skills development is supported by a strong emphasis on literacy and numeracy skills, and relevant preparatory skills to develop and extend meaningful pathways for employment and/or further education for young people, aged 15 and above. This course is delivered over 10 months and can be offered over two years in part time mode. A mid-year intake may be offered.
Online application direct to Bendigo TAFE
Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
Bendigo TAFE has processes to give you credit for relevant units from your prior study, and to assess your prior learning against units in a course.
Practical assessment; Written assessment
Part time; Full time
Classroom based training
Key study areas
Further study options
- Literacy - skills and knowledge to read and write simple and short texts.
- Numeracy - skills to perform simple and familiar numeracy tasks in real life contexts.
- Work Related Skills - employability skills in the context of practical work related experiences including work placement and project based activities.
- Industry Specific Skills - the development of knowledge, attitudes and skills for a variety of vocational contexts for preparation to further learning or employment.
- Personal Development Skills- the participation in the experiences and activities of a practical nature for the development of organisational /planning skills, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
Apprenticeship or traineeship options
A range of vocational courses within Bendigo TAFE can be undertaken. Students have the option of enrolling in the following courses:
- Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) Intermediate (VCALINT001)
- Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) Senior (VCALSEN001)
- Certificate II in General Education for Adults 21773VIC
- Certificate III in General Education for Adults 21774VIC
Fees and charges
|Bendigo - City Campus
|| Additional Info
Please contact Bendigo TAFE for more information.
Typical course structure
To complete this course you will need to successfully complete 10 units (at 100 nominal hours each) taken from 5 strands: literacy, numeracy, industry specific skills, work related skills and personal development skills.