To receive a VET Student Loan, you must:
• be studying an approved course
• apply to the government using the approved form, and
• confirm your engagement and progression to continue to access the loan throughout your course.
• To be an eligible student, you must meet ALL of these criteria – further detailed below.
You must be:
• an Australian citizen, or
• a qualifying New Zealand citizen1 , or
• a permanent humanitarian visa holder, who is usually resident in Australia. o Students must provide their Passport with Visa Status (accepted Visa subclasses) Your FEE-HELP balance (the amount of your FEE-HELP limit you have left) is more than $0.
You have been assessed by the Institute as academically suited to undertake the approved course on the basis of either:
• providing your Australian Year 12 Certificate;OR
• providing evidence of successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English); OR
• displaying competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test.
If you want to use a VET Student Loan to pay for your study, you must meet the TFN requirements:
• you must have a valid TFN by the census day or
• if you don’t have a TFN, you can obtain a Certificate of application for a TFN. This certificate is available from the ATO after you have applied for a TFN. If you get a Certificate of application for a TFN, you are required to upload it to your eCAF before you submit. You may also provide (by uploading) a copy of the online application summary and barcode receipt issued by Australia Post.
You must advise your provider as soon as you have received your TFN from the ATO. You will then receive an email with a link to the eCAF where you can then enter your TFN. Once you have done this, you must resubmit the revised eCAF. If you do not provide your TFN, you will not be able to use a VET Student Loan for that study period.