Student Life


As a new student, it’s definitely an exciting time for you to start a brand new chapter in your life. We are here to help you get the most out of your student experience and help you settle in with minimal disruption.

Students have a number of accommodation options.  The Institute provides assistance to students in locating suitable accommodation. The options include:


·         Homestay

Homestay offers accommodation in a private home with a host family. Students are provided with a furnished bedroom with study space. The host provides some meals, but the student must pay for their own travel, telephone, entertainment and personal expenses. The approximate weekly cost is AUD$235 – AUD$400 per week. 


·         Rented Rooms

Students can rent a room in a private house – this can be either furnished or unfurnished. Meals and utility expenses are not normally provided. Rent varies from approximately AUD$130 to AUD$215 per week.


·         Private Rental

A popular option for students is to share an apartment or house. Rental costs vary depending on the type of property, location and inclusions. Rent Usually ranges from AUD$200 to AUD$500 per week.


Useful links:

Tenants Victoria

Australian Homestay Network

Consumer Affairs Victoria

It is recommended that students budge between AUD21,014 to AUD$23,000 per year for living expenses This will increase depending on accompanying family members.


Tuition fees do not cover the cost of books, stationery and equipment unless otherwise stated. Tuition fees are payable prior to the commencement of each term. Students required to repeat units will incur additional fees. In some designated classes students must wear protective clothing and/or uniform.  All enrolled students will be required to pay the annual student amenities fee of AUD$200.


Student Visa Regulations

Students are required to abide by the conditions of their student visa. These include:

·         satisfying course requirements by remaining enrolled in a CRICOS registered course and maintaining satisfactory course progress and attendance

·         maintaining adequate Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) during your stay in Australia

·          notifying your education provider of any changes to your contact details

·         Working in paid employment for no more than 40 hours a fortnight providing that work does not interfere with your studies. There are no limitations during holiday periods.


Under Department of Home Affairs (DHA) regulations, international students are prevented from transferring from one institute to another until they have completed at least six months of their principle course. Transfers before six months will only be considered on a case-by—case basis.


The Australian Government is committed to ensuring international students have an excellent education experience in Australia. More useful information about your rights and responsibilities are available below:

International Education Fact Sheets

Department of Home Affairs

Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS)

National Code 2018

Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)

Bendigo TAFE Orientation Handbook

Study Melbourne

Study Australia

Insider Guides